Monday, May 26, 2008

1937 Coca-Cola Running Girl tray Original vs Repro

Let's have a look at the original 1937 Running Girl Coca-Cola tray vs the Reproduction Running Girl tray.

1st, about the original 1937 Coca-Cola running girl tray.

1. Original has a black back, no other colors.
2. Original will show bottom center in the green stripe, American Art Works,
Inc. Coshocton, O (note: repro will not show the manufacturer)
3. Original will show bottom left, green stripe, The Coca-Cola Co 1937
4. Original will show bottom right, green stripe, Made in U.S.A.
5. Original will show in the tail of the 1st C of the logo, Trade Mark reg.us.
pat.off. (note: repro shows this as well)
6. Original has a gold, metallic looking outer lip

Now for the 1937 repro

1. Repro has a yellowish/ kinda mustard back, not black like the original
2. Repro does not show bottom center, green stripe, the manufacturer which
is American Art Works, Inc. Coshocton, O
3. Repro shows bottom center The Coca-Cola Co 1937. No other verbage in the
green stripe such as Made in USA etc.
4. Repro has a small MX in red, bottom outer rim which probably stands for
Metalix, which produced this repro in the early 70's but also has been noted
as early as 1959 evident by stickers attached to the back.
5. Repro tray has good color but notice the blue background is too bright
compared to the original.

Hope this info will help you from not spending the big bucks on a repro tray.
More to come as time allows.

Tim the Tray Man!






























6 comments:

Chris said...

Hi. I have an example of this tray and came across your site while trying to establish it's authenticity. It appears to have all the signs of being authentic based on your checklist except the back, which you describe as being black is a sort of olive green colour, different to the mustard green you describe on reproductions. Wondering if you had any ideas about this? Thanks, great blog by the way. :)

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Katie said...

This is my grandmother!!! My father has an original tray that was passed down to him, but others in the family are now looking for more copies. Do you know where we can purchase these?

Thank you!

Chris said...

Wow, Katie that is amazing! I'm unsure whether mine is original or not. In every respect it appears to be original but the back is not the expected colour. I think I will put it up on eBay tonight as a rare exception LOL. If I do I will post a link here. Do you have any more information about your grandmother? I sort of assumed the woman in the image was just a fantasy creation, amazed to discover she is a real woman.

Michelle said...

Hi
I have a tray like this as well and like Chris I came upon your site while trying to establish its authenticity. Again like Chris my tray has all the notable markings for the authentic tray except the back is the same colour as Chris speaks of.

Loopoo said...

Hi Katie
I’m not sure if you ever found reproduction copies of this 1937 tray, but I’ve just come into possession of one from my great aunty.
Let me know if you wanting to source any.